Sunday, August 16, 2015

Checking in

Hey,

Has it really been almost 6 months since I've posted to this blog? Sorry about the neglect everyone.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll be regularly posting to this blog again, but I still wanted to check in. Yes, I'm doing alright, there's just been a lot going on in the past few months.

Since my last post I have:

  • Met James from TeaDB, who has been a great friend and mentor to me, and is the only reason this blog ever took off (thank you so much!). I believe we tasted a 1960s oolong at T Shop in New York.
  • Placed a large Taobao order for both tea and teaware, finding both great deals and some of the nastiest tea I have ever come across. I'll write a post explaining my findings another time, all I can say now is if you're in the market for Yixing, old porcelain, or very cheap traditional pu'erh, prepare your wallets. ;)
  • Stopped drinking tea for a while.
  • Grown up a bit.
I'm going to try and get back in the habit of drinking tea regularly, as well as updating this blog more. I have some ridiculously good teas that I've been a fool to ignore for this long, so the next couple of weeks I should be pretty active on this blog, although I've already said that I'd return to this blog/the tea world several times (both to myself and others).

Right now I'm drinking the 1980's Miaoli oolong from Floating Leaves Tea that I reviewed just over a year ago, and I mostly agree with my old notes.  At the time of this post, Floating Leaves Tea is holding a sale, which will expire on the 18th. I'd recommend placing an order there if you're interested in aged oolongs (I recommend this 1980s Miaoli and their aged Pinglin), as well as any other Taiwanese teas. In my opinion they're the best online vendor for Taiwanese oolongs.

The dry aroma is a typical sweet aged oolong scent, which personally reminds me of powdered sugar and dried fruit with some earth. The aroma of the liquor is a very distinct smell of old honey. At first the taste is quite leathery and mineral, however the taste then evolves into a plummy/honey sweet taste. What I didn't notice last time is that the taste changes a third time, into an herbal taste with a sour cherry and menthol background. A surprisingly complex tea, considering the low quality of the base material (see my other blog post for pictures).

I personally like this tea, however it definitely depends on who's drinking it, as there is a noticable level of sourness in this tea. I don't mind sourness to a point, however there are definitely some people out there who don't like any sourness in their teas and I can understand that. Aged oolongs don't entirely mellow out like aged pu'erh does, so there can be some bitterness/sourness in them, either caused by the base material or the storage (high humidity leads to sourness). I'd like to call this a daily drinker, but let's be honest, how many of us are really drinking the same teas every day?

To anyone out there who's crawling the web/the earth for bargains, or to anyone who wants to ask me a question, or to anyone who wants to give me advice, please feel free to use the contact form in the sidebar, it goes right to my email and I'll respond ASAP.

7 comments:

  1. Hey man,

    Cool post. Good to see you alive and well. Without you around, I haven't had anyone to bounce my aged oolong off of. Have been on the pu-train pretty much since you disappeared.

    Hope you're able to stay active and enjoy tea in the future :).

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see you back and posting! The good thing about a blog is that it's always there to go back to. That Miaoli sounds amazing, definitely one for the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you too, Nicole!

      The Miaoli is definitely a good aged oolong, but don't expect too much out of it. The aged Pinglin that they sell is a step above the Miaoli IMO. Both of the western sources for exceptional aged oolongs that I've come across (Everlasting Tea and Origin Tea) are now closed/sold out, so if you're looking for top-quality aged oolong you're out of luck. I'm going to be exploring some Taiwanese sources in the future though, hopefully I'll find some good aged oolongs, and if I do I'll be sure to write about them here.

      -Jake

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey Hobbes,

      Glad to hear you enjoyed my post. Your blog has always been one of my favorites :)

      -Jake

      Delete
  4. Hey there Jake,

    I was just reminded of you, and decided to check out your blog again.
    Good to hear you're still around and doing well!

    Keep steeping!

    -Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey! hope you're well.

      please shoot me an email, the form in the sidebar goes directly to my email. it's been a while since we've chatted, i'd love to catch up a bit.

      -Jake

      Delete